mileta&respect

20.2.13 SonjaBajic 0 Comments

I was walking around Beaux Arts, rue Bonaparte and Latin quarter just to kill some time until my friend's exhibition (yes, in BA) was ready to be opened. And somehow I finished in front of the sign. Simple one. With lotzaaaa stickers. This one from above. But I stopped for the other reason. I saw written in red - Mileta. Mileta was my professor of drawing at some point in my life. Before university. Before architecture. Before serious things. Before realizing that life is not a serious thing. Bah. Before...you know what I mean.

Later he moved to Korea. The good one. Good Korea. With his wife. I don't remember her name, just that she was lovely. I met him only once in the street, during these, well, many years and I remember well that he told me some inspiring words. That he gave me that push, that I felt better and that I was aware that I can make more and be better in everything I am doing.

Us, the crew that was taking drawing classes in his atelier, just above one famous bar back home, have had a huge respect for that man. He is only a few years older, but we believed in advices he was giving. All of them. At least I did.

Now, why does my post has a silly title: Mileta&respect. There goes the story... One day he came into atelier, to give us the class in super cool T-shirt. We were all like - yeah, what a cool professor we are having. It was written RESPECT. Big, bold, sans serif (if I remember well) letters. RESPECT. We told him, hey Mileta, that shirt rocks! He, modest as he was, looked at the shirt and said in his specific, slow
voice: Oooooh, tnx, but I am a bit confused what does -respect- mean in this context... I should respect someone, or somebody should respect me, or that is respect in general...

He is an amazing artist. I went to his blog. Realized he is living in South Africa. My close friend, Dave is also living there now. That Mileta moved away from Korea. That I need to write him an e-mail to tell him he made my day once again!

And one thing is certain. I have no idea what the author of the shirt from above wanted to say. But, respect goes to Mileta. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: